It is vital to update your networking device from time to time to ensure the trouble-free functioning of the device. If you own a Netgear Orbi then know that Netgear keeps rolling regular updates which can be easily installed on the device. Although it is fairly easy to update firmware on Orbi, users at times get stuck during the process. Fortunately, obstructions while updating Orbi firmware can be resolved by following simple troubleshooting hacks mentioned in this guide.
Fixing Orbi Firmware Update Errors
Step 1) Reboot Orbi
This is the first step that is recommended to troubleshoot any issue with Netgear Orbi. Errors while updating firmware can be a result of some technical glitches which can be taken care of by rebooting the device. You can reboot your Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh system by doing this:
- Unplug the Orbi router from the wall electrical socket.
- Do the same with the Orbi satellite also.
- Let the devices rest for a while.
- Plug both the router and satellite into wall sockets.
- Power them up again.
Now try updating firmware by accessing the Orbi admin login page. If the success hasn’t kissed your feet yet, then worry not, there are a couple more troubleshooting steps to be performed.
Step 2) Ensure Stable Internet Connection
A slow or intermittent network can also prevent the firmware update process on the Orbi device. Thus make check on your network connectivity. While doing this, consider these points:
- Ensure stable and high-speed internet access to the devices. In case you have taken the assistance of a wireless medium to establish a connection between the Orbi router and the modem, then consider switching the connectivity mode. Considering, a wired connection is more reliable than a wireless connection, make use of an Ethernet cable and connect the Orbi router to the modem.
- Ensure putting to use an Ethernet cable that is not worn out or damaged.
Has the firmware update issue been resolved now? No? Proceed further.
Step 3) Ensure Using Correct Firmware Update Process
Are you sure you are updating the firmware on your Orbi device in the right manner? Perhaps, you are making some errors while updating the firmware which is why you are facing trouble updating the firmware. The correct steps to update firmware have been given below:
- Lay your hands on a PC and power it up first and download the latest version of the firmware. Make certain to download the firmware for the Orbi model that you own. Save the firmware file at any location on the PC.
- Now, power up your Netgear Orbi system. Plug the router as well as the satellite into active wall sockets.
- Now load a web browser that is running on the latest version of the software.
- Input the login address orbilogin.com right into the address bar of the browser and hit enter.
- As soon as the login window displays, enter the login credentials into their corresponding fields.
- Click on the Login button now.
- You will be navigated to the Orbi admin dashboard.
- Now click on the Advanced option.
- Click on the Firmware Update under Administration.
- Then click on Manual Update.
Note: Please note that you must update the firmware on your Netgear Orbi satellite first and then proceed with updating the router.
Firmware Update on Satellite
To update firmware on satellite:
- Click on the checkbox next to the satellite model that you have.
- Now click on the Update button.
- On the satellite firmware update window, enter the login details if prompted and then click on the Browse button.
- Navigate and choose the firmware file saved earlier and click on Upload.
Make note of the point not to open a new tab or interrupt the firmware update process.
Firmware Update on Router
Now you need to update Orbi router.
- Head back toward the Firmware Update page.
- Choose the Firmware Update under Administration.
- Click on the Manual Update tab.
- You will need to navigate and choose the already downloaded firmware file as soon as you click on the Browse button.
- Click on Upload button and finally click on Yes button.
Right after the firmware is updated, check on the same page about the firmware version. We are very sure that now the firmware would have been updated and you will no more get Orbi firmware check error.
In a Nutshell
Thus we end this troubleshooting guide here with the hope that above-given troubleshooting hacks have been able to help you out in fixing firmware update issues with your Netgear Orbi.