Ever heard of body toning? It is the process of cutting down the unnecessary layers of fat. Body toning also helps you develop key muscle groups in the body. Yoga is a holistic approach to help you achieve a toned physique.
Wondering how yoga helps you do that? Keep reading.
Can Yoga Help Me Achieve a Toned Physique?
Yes! It is possible for you to develop a toned physique with yoga. The physique you develop with yoga looks flexible and organic than hitting the gym to achieve the same thing. Yoga does not requires you to lift heavy or work on machines.
The entire process of body toning in yoga depends on how you move and hold a specific yoga pose. The yoga retreat in Rishikesh can help you achieve a good physique without lifting even a kilo of weight.
Let us understand what differs body toning with yoga from the one through built in gym.
Yoga Body Toning Vs Gym Workout
The majority of exercises in the gym are either weight or machine intensive. These focus on cutting down fat and building every muscle group equally. It is what helps you achieve a chiseled and beefed-up look. But, there is something odd about it.
Firstly, you should never aim to lose every last bit of fat. A healthy layer of fat protects your joints and muscles from sudden injury. Secondly, you don’t need to beef up every muscle group in the body.
There are some regions in your body that should be of less quantity than others. This helps you practice a greater range of motion. For example, developing your shoulder and neck muscles to the level of chest, biceps and triceps limits movement in the shoulder joints.
It is time we take a look at the best yoga poses that help you develop a toned physique.
Best Yoga Poses for Toned Physique
Yoga poses are the best investment of time when it comes to complete body transformation. These never focus on a single group but work on different muscles at the same time.
That said, let us check out which yoga poses you should practice to develop a toned physique.
1. Bridge Pose
Bridge pose is an effective yoga exercise. It benefits your muscles and body organs alike. This yoga asana improves your cardiovascular and respiratory system. Do this if you want to improve metabolism and nervous system functioning.
Steps to Practice
- Lie down on your back.
- Keep both legs together.
- Keep both hands by your body’s side.
- Bend and fold your legs. Keep them together.
- Press your hands down on the ground with pelvis upwards.
- Lift your pelvis using the abs, lower back muscles, quads, glutes, hamstrings, and chest.
- Let your pelvis reach the height of your knees.
- Keep your chest near to your chin.
- Do not lift your shoulders and shoulder blades off the ground.
- Press down your hands firmly. Keep the involved muscles active.
- Look towards your heart.
- Hold this pose for 5 to 7 deep breaths.
Note: When lifting your pelvis be careful of the weight distribution. Let all muscles involved provide equal support in this asana.
2. Half Moon Pose
Half Moon Pose is an effective yoga asana to improve motor function and muscle balance. This works on your side abs, side hamstrings, and lower back muscles.
Steps to Practice
- Stand with right leg forward. Keep your left leg backward.
- Keep both legs 4 feet apart.
- Shift your entire weight on the right leg and lean forward.
- Bend down and let your hands hang loosely on the ground.
- The left leg should come up as you bend down.
- Keep the left leg to the level of your left shoulder.
- Turn your body to the left side. Stretch your left hand upwards and keep it straight.
- Turn your gaze to the left.
- Hold this pose for 5 breaths.
Note: The arm and leg length varies from one person to another. Join a certified yoga retreat in Rishikesh to learn and practice this yoga asana.
3. Tree Pose
Tree Pose is a popular balancing yoga asana. It stimulates your metabolism and nervous system. This improves your blood flow. Tree pose also trains your nerves to control different muscle tissues.
Steps to Practice
- Stand in the Mountain Pose.
- Shift your body weight on the right leg.
- Lift your left foot off the ground.
- Balance your entire body weight on the right leg.
- Lift your left foot and rest it against the inside of your right thigh.
- Raise both hands overhead. Join both hands in the Kailash Mudra over your head.
- Breath. Keep your spine erect.
- Do not wobble.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite leg.
Note: Once you develop a good level of balance try holding this pose for a couple of minutes.
A toned physique offers you mental as well as physical benefits. You are ready to tackle everyday life with ease. Join a certified yoga retreat in Rishikesh to learn and practice yoga poses which help you develop a toned physique.