Are you a beginner and looking to invest in bonds but don’t know enough about where to start from? Don’t worry, by the end of this article, you will have information about investing in bonds in India. So, without waiting much, let’s move on and quickly find out the best ways to buy bonds easily.
What are bonds and their types?
Often known as a fixed-income instrument, bonds are used by private companies and governments to raise money from investors for some specific projects. An investor gets an interest over time on those bonds according to the market value. Generally, bonds are issued for a long period.
3 Types of Bonds
- Corporate bonds– These are issued by companies to raise funds for projects, business expansion, research & development. However, the interest on these bonds is taxable, but you get a high return compared to municipal or government bonds like the Green Bonds India.
- Municipal bonds – These types of bonds are issued by the state or city to raise money for public projects like roads, hospitals, or schools. The good thing about these municipal bonds is that they are tax-free. Municipal bonds are also of 2 types.
- General Obligation – These are the bonds to fund infrastructure projects like parks, sewer lines, roads, or playgrounds.
- Revenue – These bonds pay back the investors with the return they have expected.
- Treasury bonds – Often known as T-bond, Treasury bonds are issued by governments and are considered a risk-free investment option. However, these bonds have a lower interest rate than corporate bonds, and at present, they have three tenors, namely 91 days, 182 days and 364 days.
Other bond investment types include:-
- Bond Funds – Bond funds are mutual funds that typically invest in a variety of bonds, including treasury, corporate, municipal, or junk bonds, and are known for paying high returns.
- Junk bonds – These bonds are rated below investment grade but have higher risk with greater yields.
How to Invest in Bonds Smartly?
Investing in bonds for the first time can be very troublesome, but with these tips, you can enhance your experience. Take a look!
- Know the maturity period of bonds.
- Ascertain the bond’s rating.
- Investigate the company before investing in its bonds.
- Learn about the risk associated with bonds.
- Keep in mind the risk with other microeconomic factors.
- Consult an asset allocation calculator that supports your broader investment objectives.
- Make sure that you read the prospectus carefully before investing.
- It’s good to consult with specialists in bonds investment like SMEST’s experts.
How Smest can help you in Bond Investing?
SMEST is an online investment platform that helps investors find the best fixed-income securities to invest hassle-free. It is one of the safest platforms that take care of your personal data and transaction information. So, start today with SMEST, one of the best platforms to invest in bonds in India without any hassles.