Are you having a hard time with your Netgear Nighthawk router due to random network dropouts? Do you often struggle to stay connected to the wireless network of your Netgear router? If you’ve answered both questions in yes then smile. Because this post has been penned up for you. Here, we will provide you with the proven hacks to fix random dropouts of the WiFi network of the Netgear Nighthawk router. Continue reading.
Fixed: Random Dropouts of Netgear Router WiFi
- Reboot the Netgear Router
Start troubleshooting the issue by implementing the timeless IT advice stating ‘If it doesn’t work, try turning it off and on’. In other words, you have to reboot your Netgear router. Follow the guidelines mentioned below in order to reboot your Netgear Nighthawk router:
- Launch a web browser on your WiFi-enabled device.
- Go to the address bar and access the router login page using the default web address.
- Log in to your Netgear Nighthawk router.
- When the Netgear Nighthawk setup wizard appears, select the Advanced option and click Reboot.
- Now, wait patiently and let the reboot process get completed.
If you don’t want to involve yourself in the hassle of accessing the Netgear Genie dashboard, you can also hard reboot your router. For this, unplug the router, wait for some time, and re-plug it into the wall outlet.
- Bring Your WiFi Devices Closer
Chances are that you are experiencing random dropouts due to an unsafe distance between your Netgear Nighthawk router and modem. Therefore, consider bringing the router close to the modem. However, it is advised not to place WiFi devices too close as it might result in a clash of signals emitted by both devices.
If you have used a wired connection, then make sure that the Ethernet cable connecting your Nighthawk router and the modem needs to be free of damage.
- Update the Firmware
An outdated firmware of your Netgear Nighthawk router can also be one of the reasons behind the random dropouts of the network. To fix the problem, get your Netgear Nighthawk router updated as soon as possible. Follow the below-mentioned guidelines to get the firmware of your router updated using the Netgear Nighthawk app
- Ensure that your Netgear Nighthawk router is properly connected to the internet source.
- Once ensured, unlock your mobile device and launch the Nighthawk app.
- If you haven’t installed the Nighthawk app yet, get it from the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Log in to your Nighthawk router using the default admin details.
- Tap the image of the Netgear router model you own.
- Now, select the Router Settings option.
- Tap the Check for Updates option.
- Your Nighthawk router will notify you whether new firmware is available or not.
- Follow the on-screen prompts if the router requires an update.
- Prevent Overheating of the Router
Your Netgear Nighthawk router provides you with an unlimited internet connection every time. But, it does not mean that it needs to work 24/7. Therefore, switch off your Nighthawk router when not needed. Also, follow these instructions to prevent the overheating of your Nighthawk router and dissipate the excessive heat:
- Do not expose the Nighthawk wireless router to direct sunlight.
- Clean your router regularly using a cotton cloth. It will prevent the accumulation of dust on the air vents which is a major cause of overheating.
- If you are ready to spend a penny, then invest in a good-quality USB fan.
- Relocate the Netgear Router
After completing the setup process via the Netgear router app users are advised to relocate their device so that no dead zone will be left in the house. But, it looks like you didn’t pay heed and selected the wrong location for your router. But, mistakes can be rectified. So, relocate your router to get rid of random dropouts.
While relocating your Nighthawk router, make sure that it is not being placed in a zone filled with devices emitting radio-wave frequencies, reflexive surfaces, or metal objects.
- Reset the Netgear Router
If nothing seems to bring you success, then there is a high possibility that random dropouts are a result of the improper router setup process. Fret not! You need to set up your router properly to bid adieu to the issue. Before that, consider resetting it.
You can reset your Nighthawk router by pressing the Reset button on it using a sharp object. After your router resets, access the Netgear Genie dashboard and perform the setup process from scratch.
Once you reset Nighthawk router and set it up again, you will have gotten rid of the random network dropouts issue with your WiFi router. If you liked reading the post, let us know in the comment section